Making a Complaint

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction or grievance with the services and/or facilities that the Council administers. A complaint can also relate to events within the community which Council has the power to administer such as noise, smell, parking, public health or construction related activities.

To ensure confidentiality, details such as name and address are not divulged to any person when a complaint is received.  Details of the complaint will also remain confidential to Council Officers, subject to the compliance with the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act, where applicable.

Any person who makes a complaint to the Council must provide their name and address so that Council Officers can seek further clarity, or information, as required.

The Council has a Complaints Management Policy (Policy No. 3.9) (for external complaints) and a Grievance Policy (Policy No. 8.4) (for employees who wish to have a grievance or complaint formally reviewed).

It is important to note that a complaint is not the same as: a request for service; a request for information; or an enquiry seeking clarification of an issue.

The following list provides guidance on how to make a complaint, enquiry or request to the Shire of Narrogin.

General Enquiry

A request for service or information, an enquiry seeking clarification of an issue.

Phone: (08) 9890 09000


Post to: Shire of Narrogin, PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312

Works Request

Requests or comments regarding infrastructure controlled by Council, such as, roads, paths, drains, trees, parks & gardens, buildings etc.

A Works Request Form can be completed and sent to the Shire via:

Email:; or

Post to: Shire of Narrogin, PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312

Service Complaint

Complaints about Council Policies, Procedures, Fees & Charges, Employees, Contractors / Agents or the quality of services.

You can detail your complaint in writing, addressed to the Chief Executive Officer of the Shire of Narrogin and either email it to or send it to PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312.

Complaints Regarding Others within the Community (on a matter that is under the control of the Shire of Narrogin) – eg. noise, smells, parking, graffiti, public health or alleged breaches of Shire of Narrogin Local Laws, planning or building conditions.

You can put your complaint in writing, addressed to the Chief Executive Officer of the Shire of Narrogin and either email it to or send it to PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312. 

Complaints about Animals

Eg. dogs barking, cats, livestock in public areas, strays etc.

You can either contact Council Rangers or put your complaint in writing and email it to or post it to PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312.

Objection, Appeal or Review Rights

This information is currently being updated.

Complaints about an Elected Member (Councillors)

About conduct or behaviour (alleged breaches of the Local Government (Rules of Conduct) Regulations 2007).

Can either be in writing, addressed to the Shire President of the Shire of Narrogin or alternatively, you can contact the Department of Local Government and Communities and/or go to

Public Interest Disclosures (PID)

A complaint made to the Council’s delegated PID Officer about alleged certain types of wrong doing within the local government, that tend to show past, present or proposed future improper conduct by a public body.

Visit our Public Interest Disclosures page for more information.