The Food Act 2008 (the Act) was passed 8 July 2008 by the Western Australian Parliament and was implemented on 23 October 2009. The Act is the principle piece of legislation regulating the sale of food in Western Australia and provides food safety regulation over the entire food supply chain; a paddock to plate approach. This represents a significant shift in the direction of food regulation and management within WA.

The Food Act 2008
Food Regulations 2009
Department of Health WA
WA Food Standards Code

One of the critical changes is the requirement to register/notify every food business or community group or charity that provides food to the public. Once received, the Notification/Registration will be assessed by The Shire and a Certificate of Notification or Registration will be issued.


Notification/Registration Form – Shire of Narrogin

Temporary Food Stall Application

Guidelines for Temporary Food Business

FREE ONLINE fOOD SAFETY TRAINING - FoodSafe         Description of image

The Shire has available to all food businesses, community groups and charities a FREE online training course for Food Safety.  The training course includes a certificate you can generate as proof of completion. 

To access this please visit the FoodSafe website. Add the product to the cart and enter "FSNARRO368" to apply the free code (normally $35).

You can preview the course with the video below.


Trading other than at your registered premises requires approval for a Temporary Food Stall.

Preparing food for sale in residential premises requires the approval of The Shire. The use of approved kitchens is desirable. Compliance with the food standards code is required – see the link above.

Food Vehicles require registration/notification and a Traders Permit


Trade waste, or industrial waste, is any wastewater discharged from your business other than waste from office facilities or staff amenities.

If you're disposing waste to the wastewater system, you need to ensure you have a trade waste permit because not all wastes are suitable for our system.

If the wrong waste goes down the system, it could cause serious harm to public health and the environment.

On 1 July 2016, Water Corporation implemented changes to the management of non-compliant customers in the retail food industry.

Click Here to find out what this means for you.


If you suspect that something you have eaten has made you ill or has been contaminated, contact The Shire of Narrogin so that our officers can investigate the incident. If you have a sample of the food, keep it wrapped and frozen so it may be tested.

The Environmental Health Officer will need to know when and where you may have consumed contaminated food and the details of the food eaten. If anyone has become ill, it is often helpful to know what their symptoms are and when the illness started.

You are advised to seek medical treatment if the symptoms are severe or if the person who has food poisoning is young, old or immunocompromised.

In the event of a food contamination complaint, we request you Report A Problem.


Potentially Hazardous Food – means food that is capable of supporting rapid growth of infectious or toxigenic micro-organisms (eg; meat, poultry, seafood, cooked rice, egg or dairy based products).

Sale or provision of Potentially Hazardous Foods - which are pre-cooked (i.e.; not at the stall) is not permitted unless authorised.

Transport of food – keep food protected at all times. Potentially hazardous foods must be kept either below 5° C or above 60°C - use insulated containers.

Cross Contamination – means transferring infectious or toxigenic micro-organisms from raw product to ready to eat product or from a person to food.

Potable water / ice – ‘drinking water’- water that has been treated to eliminate contamination (normal scheme water/bottled water).