Airport

The Narrogin Airstrip is located about 7 km West of Narrogin along Clayton Road.

History

The airport was built in 1942/43 by the Allied Works Council as a part of the Defence System of airfields suitable for handling medium bombers and fighter aircraft.

The runways, intersect to form an ‘L’. Runway 10/28 was originally sealed at 45 metres width and was 1522 metres long (150’ x 4992’) and runway 18/36 was gravelled at 45 meters and was 1533 metres long (150’ x 5030’).

After the war the site reverted to the Department of Civil Aviation who in turn disposed of the site after failing to reach transfer agreement with the Narrogin Road Board (became Narrogin Shire Council) over the site.

However, in 1983 the Narrogin Shire Council and the Narrogin Town Council jointly purchased the Narrogin aerodrome from the airstrip land owners, Mr P. D. Moore and Mr H. C. Carrick.

General

Narrogin aerodrome is a General Aviation aerodrome serving the collective needs of a range of private and public air operators. It is not a registered or certified Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) aerodrome, it is an Aerodrome Landing Area (ALA).

The Narrogin Flying Club and the Narrogin Gliding Club are both fixed base operators and the club and private member aircraft are all below 5,700 kg registered all up mass.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) uses the Airstrip regularly to transport medically urgent patients to other Airports (Perth) for disperse to specialised medical facilities.

Landings and Departures

A CTAF (Common Traffic Advisory Frequency) 134.0 MHZ has been assigned by Air services Australia to Narrogin Airport for enhanced circuit area safety.

This enables pilots to broadcast their position on arrival into the circuit area and also on taxiing for departure.

The Narrogin Gliding Club have their own frequency 122.7 MHZ and maintain a listening watch on the CTAF.

Melbourne Flight Information Service is through Melbourne frequency 125.4 MHZ.

Runway Lights

Fixed electric lights are installed on runway 10/28 (sealed runway) at a longitudinal spacing of 90 metres and an offset of 49 metres.

Installed as a community project in 1979 the mains power runway lights have provided continuous serviceability for night landings principally by the RFDS.

The lights are activated by using the Pilot Activated Lighting frequency of 119.6 MHZ.

Refuelling Facilities

Fuel is not available for sale to the public.

If you are interested in joining the Narrogin Flying Club or Narrogin Gliding Club the contacts are listed below.

Narrogin Flying Club

 

Narrogin Flying Club Contact Details
Contact: Cecil Cain
Mobile: 0418 680 432
Email: cecilcane77@gmail.com

Narrogin Airport

Narrogin Gliding Club

www.narroginglidingclub.org.au

Narrogin Gliding Club Contact Details
Po Box: PO Box 232
Narrogin  WA  6312
Airfield Phone: (08) 9881 1795
Mobile: 0407 088 314
Email: president@narroginglidingclub.org.au

Narrogin Gliding Club