Owner of dog must not be under the age of 18

Owner cannot register more than 2 dogs over the age of 3 months old, unless special approval is granted by Council.

Dog Registration

A dog owner is legally required to register his or her dog with the appropriate local government if it is more than three months old. Contact your local government for a registration form and list of applicable fees.

If the Owner holds a pension card they are eligible for a 50% discount on registration fees.

Proof of identity and pension card must be sighted.

If the dog is sterilized a discount is offered. Proof by means of Vet receipt of Statutory Declaration is required.


Unsterilised dog $ 50.00 $120.00 $250.00
Unsterilised Dog - Concession $ 25.00 $ 60.00 $125.00
Sterilised Dog $ 20.00 $ 42.50 $100.00
Sterilised Dog - Concession $ 10.00 $ 21.25 $  50.00


Download Dog Registration Form here.

Dog Identification

Your dog is required to wear a collar to which must be attached a valid registration tag. This tag will be issued by your local government when you pay your registration fee.

As of 1 November 2015 ALL dogs (new & old) must be microchipped as per the new rules in the Dog Act 1976.

If a dog is impounded it needs to be registered and microchipped prior to release.

You can provide a receipt or certificate from your Vet advising the dog will be microchipped on the date stated.

Cancellation of Registration

Dog Registration can be cancelled if;

  • The owner is fined or convicted for 2 or more offences in any one year
  • The dog has been shown to be destructive, dangerous, vicious, unduly mischievous, or to be suffering from an infectious disease
  • The council is not satisfied that fencing requirements of the place at which the dog is ordinarily kept are satisfactory.

Update Your Information

To change ownership of a dog or cancel your registration, you must notify the council in writing or in person.

Download Change of Details - Pets Form here.

Don’t forget to also update your dog’s microchip details through:

Australasian Animal Registry - Pet identification and recovery service

Pet Address

Central Animal Records