Differential Rating

In accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the former Town and Shire of Narrogin, differential rating has been introduced to allow ratepayers of the former Shire of Narrogin to gradually increase their rates over a period of 10 years to ensure that all GRV properties will have the same rate in the dollar.  In order to achieve this it was agreed to phase in an increase to allow the Rural Ward GRV ratepayers to gradually achieve “parity” with the Urban Ward GRV ratepayers.   The Rural UV ratepayers have been benchmarked to the Shire of Wagin’s UV rated properties.

If you have questions regarding differential rating and the Parity factor - please see our FAQs.


In accordance with section 6.36 of the Local Government Act 1995, the Shire of Narrogin hereby gives notice of its intention to impose the following differential rates and minimum payment.

Rate Code Description

Rate in the ($)

Min. Payment ($)

Lesser Min.Payment ($)

GRV Urban




GRV Rural




 The figures shown above are estimates and may change as part of Council deliberations after consideration of any submission. It is noted that the estimates above equate to a 4.0% increase to the rate revenue raised by Council in 2016/17.

Submissions are invited from electors and ratepayers in respect of the proposed rates, minimum payment and any related matters by 12:00 noon Friday 23 June 2017.

Submissions are to be addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Narrogin PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312 or via email enquiries@narrogin.wa.gov.au

Electors and ratepayers may view a document describing the objects and reasons for each proposed rate and the minimum payment at the Shire of Narrogin offices and library during normal working hours or download here.

Aaron Cook
Chief Executive Officer

When do I have to pay my rates?

Due Date Full Payment: 2 September 2016

Installment Option Dates
1st instalment:  2 September 2016
2nd instalment: 3 November 2016
3rd instalment: 5 January 2017
4th instalment: 9 March 2017

Payment Method Options

The Shire of Narrogin offer several payment options to assist Ratepayers in making their Rates payments.


BPAY® facilities are now available.  The Biller Code and Reference No is located at the bottom of your Rate Notice.

Credit Card

Credit card (MasterCard or Visa) payments can be made by using the BPay option or by telephoning the Shire of Narrogin on 9890 0900.

Electronic Funds Transfer

Payment via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is available via internet banking from your bank or financial institution.  Our bank account details are as follows:

BSB: 086 852    Account: 50835 8169

Reference: please quote your assessment number – top right hand corner of Rate Notice.

Direct Debit

The direct debit option is a no fuss way to pay Rates over an extended period on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.  Call the Rates Department on 9890 0906 for further information.

In Person

Attend in person at the Shire of Narrogin, Administration Office, 89 Earl Street, Narrogin between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. Please present your Rate Notice intact to the cashier. The top portion of your Rate Notice will be returned for your records. Payments can be made by cash, cheque or EFTPOS (debit or credit cards).

For your convenience an Express Payment box is available just tear-off the bottom section of your Rate Notice and place it in the box provided along with your cheque or credit card details.

Rates Prizes

Pay your Rates IN FULL by 2 September 2016 and go into the draw for the chance to win one of the following vouchers:

1st Prize -          $1,000 Chamber of Commerce Voucher

2nd Prize -        $500 Chamber of Commerce Voucher

15 Prizes -         $100 Chamber of Commerce Voucher

Having Trouble Paying Your Rates – Enter a Payment Arrangement

Residents who are struggling to pay their Rates bill by the due date can breathe a little easier by adopting a Payment Arrangement.

Payment Arrangements are offered via direct debit on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis to clear the debt by 30 June.  Contact the Rates Department on 9890 0906 for a Payment Arrangement Application Form.

Additional Charges/Penalties

Four-Instalment-Option Fee: $36 plus 5.5% on the balances remaining after the instalment dates.

Overdue Penalty Interest: 11% per annum calculated daily (in accordance with the Local Government Act 1995).

Payment Arrangement Administration Fee: maximum $36 depending on number of payments.

Legal Costs: All debt recovery costs are legally recoverable from the ratepayer.

Swimming Pool Inspection Fee: $14.36 is charged to cover the cost of performing inspections and monitoring of swimming pool fencing and self-closing gates to ensure they comply.

What will happen if I cannot pay my rates?

Please telephone immediately - the Shire of Narrogin commences legal action as a last resort.  The Shire understands that sometimes people experience unforeseen difficulties and we prefer to work out a payment arrangement to clear your debt.

If you do not contact the Rates Department the Shire will commence legal action fourteen (14) days after the due date.  Commencement of legal action can add additional charges to your bill (on average $400).  Please do not ignore our notices – tell us that you are having financial difficulties.

Change of Address

Please complete the change of details form and submit via email to enquiries@narrogin.wa.gov.au or post to PO Box 1145, Narrogin WA 6312.

Note: Records can only be updated for owners who have signed this form. This form cannot be signed on behalf of another owner.

Change of Details Form

Change of Details Form

The Rates Calculation

The simplest way to check your total Rates bill is to multiply the Gross Rental Value of your property (as determined by the Valuer General and shown on your Rate Notice) by the rate in the dollar determined by the Council.

If a property has a Gross Rental Value of $15,000 (or $288 per week), to calculate your Rates, multiply this value by the rate in the dollar of 10.409 cents. The Rates charged, based on rental values, would therefore be $1,561.35.

Below are the current rate in the dollar values and minimum rates.

Rate Category

Rate in the $

Minimum Rate

GRV Urban



GRV Rural



UV General



Emergency Services Levy (ESL) Calculation

There are five ESL rate categories that apply, depending on the type and level of fire and emergency services available to a property. The Shire of Narrogin is in ESL categories 4 and 5:

ESL Category 4 (Regional):

Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service brigade

OR a Volunteer Emergency Service unit with breathing apparatus

OR a bush fire brigade with breathing apparatus

AND the statewide SES network

The ESL charge for properties located in category 5 is a fixed charge of $71. Category 4 is calculated using a rate in the dollar of $0.004435 per dollar GRV.  Minimum and maximum charges for 2016-17 are below:

ESL Property use



Vacant Land



Farming (hobby) properties



Residential properties



Commercial properties



Industrial properties



Miscellaneous properties (eg Churches, Schools)



Mining leases



Objections & Appeals

If you disagree with the valuation of your property, you may forward a written objection, stating the grounds for your objection, to the Valuer General at PO Box 2222, Midland WA 6936 or by visiting Landgate's website.

However it is important to note that Rates remain payable on the due date and any necessary adjustments and refunds are made after the Valuer General's decision.  More information on objections and appeals can be found on the back of your Rates notice.

Can I apply for a Concession?

Pensioners - you MAY BE eligible for a concession of up to 50% (subject to State Government capping) or elect to defer the payment of your Rates.

Seniors – you MAY BE eligible for a concession of up to 25% (subject to State Government capping).

Firstly, you must own and live at this property on 1 July. You must hold either a current Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card; or hold both Commonwealth Seniors Health Card with a WA Seniors Card; a WA Seniors Card.

You are required to complete an application form and provide proof of your concession card(s). You may make application with the Water Corporation online at watercorporation.com.au or telephone 1300 659 951.

If you became an eligible pensioner/senior during the Rating year you may be eligible for a pro-rata rebate or deferment. For further information contact the Rates Department on 9890 0906.

No concession is allowed if payment is received after 30 June. Outstanding Rates as at 1 July automatically become deferred. Rubbish collection charges cannot be deferred and MUST BE PAID by the due date on the Rate Notice.