Rural Road Addressing

Rural Road Numbers are a national standard applied across Australia for rural addressing.

The standard uses a distance based system allocated in a sequence based on how far your driveways is from a nominated start of the road. Your rural road number is therefore measured from the start of the road to the middle of your property entrance. Odd rural road numbers are applied to the left and even rural road numbers are applied to the right.

If a property is allocated a rural road number of 327, it’s on the left side and three-point-two-seven kilometres from the start of the road.

A rural road number is allocated to every land parcel with a substantial building on the property, including all outbuildings and residential dwellings. The rural road number is to replace previous RMB and Lot numbers however, it does not change any legal lot number.

Once the rural road number is determined for your property Shire of Narrogin’s officers notify Landgate to include the rural address in the State Addresses database.

If there are two entrances to separate buildings on a property each of them are allocated a rural road number. This helps to identify an entrance to a property for emergency services and ease of locating rural properties.

If you haven’t been assigned a rural road number, or think you require one please contact the Shire of Narrogin’s Planning Department on 9890 0900 or visit the Shire of Narrogin Administration Offices at 89 Earl Street, Narrogin.